Spiced Rum Biscuits
Very simple, wonderful flavour. An excellent accompaniment for coffee. I found the original recipe in one of the many books I brought home from the library and regrettably failed to note the title or author. I have modified it slightly to accommodate my personal baking habits.
175g dark brown sugar
225g plain flour
pinch of salt
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander or cardamom
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg or mace
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
2 tablespoons dark rum
- Lightly grease baking trays, and preheat oven to 170C
- Cream butter and sugar
- Seive the flour, salt, bicarb and spices into the creamed mix
- Roll into 2.5cm balls and place about 50mm apart on baking tray to allow for a little spreading. Flatten slightly with a wet fork.
- Bake for about 12-15 minutes until golden and slightly browner underneath.
- Depending on how soft the mix is you will get flat very crisp biscuits or smaller diameter, thicker and softer biscuits. This mix usually makes flatter biscuits. Just add a little more flour if you want the latter.
RECIPES HOME PAGE
DAVE ON CURRY
Sauces, Chutneys, Relishes, Jams and Marmalade
Spreads, Dips, Entrees, and Dressings
With Meat or Fish