Country Onion Pie
An unusual dish, sweet and
savoury at the same time. Delicious. Another favourite for "take
a plate" functions, and earned the seal of approval from the family vegetarian.
You will need
- 24 Pickling Sized Onions
- 1 tablespoon Cooking Oil
- 3 Eggs
- 1.2 cup Sour Cream
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 3/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon grated Nutmeg
- To Taste: Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Pastry to line 300 x 250 mm Baking Dish or equivalent
- Preheat oven to 200C
- Top and tail onions, place in
a pot and pour boiling water over them. After a couple of minutes the skins
should come off easily. Cut in half crosswise.
- In a roasting pan place olive
oil and smear over the bottom. Place the onions, cut side down, in the pan
and place in the oven for 15 - 20 minutes
- Line 300 x 250 mm pie dish or
baking dish with pastry
- Combine in a food processor or
beat together the eggs, sour cream, milk and spices.
- Arrange the onions cut side up
in the bottom of the unbaked pie dish. Gently pour around them the egg mixture
until just the tops are visible.
- Bake at 190C for 15 - 20 minutes,
or until the pastry is golden brown and the filling has firmed. Turn down
the heat if it seems that the pastry is browning too fast.
- Serve with a salad.
RECIPES HOME PAGE
DAVE ON CURRY
Sauces, Chutneys, Relishes, Jams and Marmalade
Spreads, Dips, Entrees, and Dressings
With Meat or Fish