Nancy's Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies
While we were still at Centrepoint, we house-sat for the Dohertys for a week, and I found this recipe in one of Nancy's cookery books, The Old-Fashioned New Zealand Cookbook. I
found the original mix a little wet to handle so in subsequent versions
I added extra jumbo oatflakes for a chewier version. They have been a
staple tinfiller ever since.
You will need
- 250g Softened Butter
- 1.5 cups Sugar
- 2 cups Desiccated Coconut
- 1.5 cups Flour
- 2 generous tablespoons Cocoa - more if you're a chocoholic
- 3 #7 size Eggs
- 3 handfuls Chopped Nuts (I've used peanuts, brazils, hazels and almonds, for a completely different result each time, and each time, excellent. Sultanas - not so good.)
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 3/4 teaspoon Vanilla Essence
- 1/2 teaspoon Rum Essence or Almond Essence
- 1-2 cups Jumbo Rolled Oats .
1. Mix all
ingredients, except coarse rolled oats, together, more or less in order
2. Add rolled
oats and mix well until mixture can be easily formed into balls about
3 cm across.
across a lightly greased oven tray. Flatten each one with a fork to about
1 cm thickness.
4. Bake at
180C for about fifteen to twenty minutes or thereabouts, depending on
size of biscuits, until bases of biscuits begin to brown. (Slip a spatula
underneath and peek.)
RECIPES HOME PAGE
DAVE ON CURRY
Sauces, Chutneys, Relishes, Jams and Marmalade
Spreads, Dips, Entrees, and Dressings
With Meat or Fish